It was a gorgeous day here on the farm. I got as much office work as needed to be done and got outside. Yesterday I had started working on cleaning up our blackberry patch so I set out to finishing that job.
It can be an overwhelming task by oneself. When neglected for several months, the vines become entangled, overgrown, extremely long and generally unwieldy. Ideally, this task is done in the fall after fruiting is done. When you are finished harvesting, the old (two year old) canes should be then cut out and the new growth trained up on your trellis. It is much easier when done at this correct time. However, for me, I am busy with seed harvest.
Others have helped me with this task over the years but the only one that I could really work well with is my son. He understands what needs to be done and so his help is actually help. The task becomes a team effort. Others cause me frustration and so, since John is off at college, I did it alone.
That is o.k. It was beautiful outside and I was happy to be at work on a task that will provide me gallons and gallons of awesomely good berries. Along with getting the old vines cleaned out and the new ones trained up, I got the Troybilt fired up, tilled, gave them all a shot of fish fertilizer, fired up the tractor and hauled and spread mulch. I am hoping that the mulch will help keep the weeds controlled better or at least make them easier to pull.